[mythtv] Is there a way to string together different hard drives for storage in MyThTV?

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun Jan 12 17:43:51 EST 2003

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 12:07:58PM -0500, Chris wrote:
> Seriously thinking about using the raid function in my Soyo KT 400
> Dragon Ultra.  Planning three drives to use.  Know nothing about how
> this works.  Apparently there is a software raid approach and a hardware
> raid approach with the software having cpu overhead.  I am favoring the
> hardware approach.

Be aware that the "raid" chips built onto consumer motherboards are really
software raid and will use the same amount of cpu as using the software raid
in Linux.  The only real advantage of using the on-board raid is that you
can set it up from bios and, in most cases boot from it without as much
effort.

>  The 2 hard drives will have to hang on that no fly
> zone above the cpu (well, on the left of it if the tower is standing,
> this is how my tower is designed).  Do you think this will lead to a
> signficant increase in heat for the cpu. It's an athlon xp 2400 and I
> can leave it running for days with no hiccups.

I don't think anyone can tell you this for sure since there are just too
many variables.  Make sure your case has good air flow and take some
measurements of both the cpu and case temps to be sure.

--
Ray