[mythtv] Matrox G200 TV out works! HOWTO!

Ryan A. Carris mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu Jan 9 02:01:36 EST 2003

I'm in the same boat John.  I'm very experainced w/ Windows, and have
tinkered with FreeBSD for many years, but new to Linux just to get Myth
working.  I tried Debian last week, because of the packages.  But, it is
pretty difficult to install  and configure compared to the other distros
out there - Wow.  Much worse than I ever expected.  IMHO, worse then
FreeBSD, but that is another holy war.

Therefore, I looked at RedHat, Susie, and Mandrake.  Susie was out,
because although i've heard great things about it, Myth's documentation
has no mention of it.  Mandrake won  once I saw that the webpage said
the final step of the install was to configure the Tv Card - which did
work out of the box.

I installed Mandrake Monday night - no problems whatsoever. Worked on
Myth for the past two days, and with the documentation, reading every
post to the mailinglist three time, and a lot of patients, I got it
working (sort-of, several kinks to work out).

Mandrake 9.0 is very slick.  It has some quirks and things that I don't
like (like booting directly into KDE w/o login). But it is slick and
easy to install- definately makes distro choice the least of your
concerns.  But, bottom line is that you should really install what ever
distro you can get the most help on.  If you have no local friends, then
I would really recommend Mandrake. Its easy to install and if you can't
get Mandrake help, usually the RedHat help works because they are so
similar.

RAC