[mythtv] problem with default input on 0.7

Harondel J. Sibble mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun Jan 5 16:26:57 EST 2003

Lately I've been having an odd problem with 0.7 where it is defaulting to
recording from the composite input on my tuner card.

Basically what is happening is that for example, I have myth set to record
Nikita on channel 39 on Friday at 8pm, and what actually gets recorded is
Lexx on channel 13 at the same time which is coming in on the composite input
from the sony vcr which I had been watching earlier.

I suspect it's because I sometimes run xawtv when I want to watch some vhs
stuff. I normally have mythfrontend up and running all the time (but
minimized).  I am guessing that v4l is not being reset when myth starts to
record (or xawtv is shutdown). Short of stopping and restarting mythfrontend
each time, is there an easier workaround to this problem.

In the future I'll probably move all the external devices to my secondary
tuner so that this is not an issue, this however is IMO a workaround and not
a longterm solution until non-timeshifting tv viewing makes it into a release
of mythtv.  Then I won't have any need for using xawtv.

Also related to this, another question that's been asked before, but I've not
seen an answer too:

In a dual tuner setup, if a show is already being recorded, there appears to
be no way to specify that I want to use the second tuner to watch live tv.
If one one clicks watchtv in the frontend during a recording, you only get 3
choices:
1) watch recording in process
2) stop recording and watch tv
3) cancel and return to menu.

So, how does one access the secondary tuner in this instance, other than
firing up xawtv with the second tuner?
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting