[mythtv] PATCH: Commercial detection/skip using blank frames

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Feb 21 16:01:18 EST 2003

> Thanks Chris, I'm anxious to test this patch -- almost as anxious as I
> am to receive my TV tuner. ;-)

I'm loving it and my wife probably likes it more than I do.  I haven't
turned on StickeyKeys and she's getting frustrated with my settings of
30/5 seconds for ffwd/rewind. :)

> Possible directions to take this work further:
> 	- A flag for channels which indicates whether we should auto-skip
> 	  commercials.  This flag would be off for movie channels, for example.
> 	- Automagic marking of commercials in the stream as viewed by the OSD.
> 	- A flag to toggle automagic editing of recordings to elide commercials.

The auto-skip flag could also be useful at the show level.  Although if the
code is smart enough then you wouldn't need to turn it off if it isn't a
cpu hog.

Commercials could be marked online or in the background offline.  The
edit function could also use the commercial skip code to automark commercials.

Chris