[mythtv] Can't 'make' XMLTV

Alex Davidson alexd at synergycsi.com
Tue Feb 11 14:37:38 EST 2003

I am installing for the very first time (Red Hat 8.0) and got as far as:
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.3

install XML::Twig
but that step ended with the following message:
Running make install
    make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

Looking back through the screen echoes everything goes fine until:
t/test_entities....This error is probably due to an incompatibility between
XML::Twig and the version of libexpat that you are using

One thing I did slightly differently from the instructions was to get a
newer build of libexpat - 1.95.6 instead of the suggested 1.95.5 so I tried:
make uninstall
in the libexpat directory then downloaded 1.95.5 and went back a few steps
to install the 'correct' version but it made no difference.
I then deleted the xmltv directory and extracted it again and ran:
perl -MCPAN -e shell
and
install XML::Twig
but it did the same thing.

Any ideas how I can overcome this?  When I first ran XMLTV it prompted me
for various things (but not the second time) and I mis-typed the region
prompt and had to enter North America as a default and wonder if this is
causing the error.

I am not familiar with Linux but am a Computer-type by trade (Windows) so if
I need to be running commands I'll need help on the specifics.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Alex