[mythtv] XBox - MythTV

Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com
Wed Feb 5 17:00:54 EST 2003

>I think instead of utilizing a piece of microsoft technology for this
>purpose. I would rather create from scratch a unit that will be just as
>quit, do more for less. I believe it can be done.

It's generally believed that Microsoft loses money on each XBox sold, in
the hopes that they can recoup that loss with software licenses.  If
everyone went out and bought a, XBox, but no games, Microsoft would have
all of those losses from the XBox sales, but no game income.  Personally, I
don't think it's a terribly economical way to cause Microsoft financial
damage, but it's quite possible that Larry Ellison has a stash in his
garage out of spite.  So, this "Sticking it to the man" thing is a
motivator for some.

I'm interested because in looking at cases with an A/V look to them (and
going through the archives for links), I have yet to find a nice looking
case for less than 200 USD.  That's an XBox right there.  Your cost for a
Mod chip, remote, and some sort of NIC wouldn't be much more.  So, even
without the Microsoft angle, it looks like it might be one of the
cheapest,, fastest ways to get a quiet frontent player.  At least at first
glance.

Mubashir, thanks for the info on the noise.  The only place I've seen an
XBox in action has been at stores, which are not exactly the best places to
judge noise levels.

-Jeff