[mythtv] Marvel G200 TV out success!

Steven Gill steven.gill at verizon.net
Wed Feb 5 11:11:11 EST 2003

Ok, here are the steps:

Note: I am not using any of Matrox's closed source drivers for anything

Also this is similar to the howto posted on this board before by Colin
Panisset, but it doesnt require prog bios or any of this other stuff and
not a lot of extra editing in XF86Config.  I just want to make sure
Colin gets his due credit.

Assumptions: you have successfully been using mgavideo to capture, watch
TV, etc on your system.

My setup:

- Gentoo Linux
- XF86 4.2.0 (using stock mga drivers)
- Kernel 2.4.19 (mga DRI built)

First gather tools:

- mgavideo

drivers from http://marvel.sourceforge.net (I am using the latest)  you
most likely have these since you are using mythtv

- matroxset

http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/~vana/ftp/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxset-0.3.tar.gz

- mavenprog (if you want to adjust brightness, etc)

http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/~vana/ftp/pub/linux/matrox-latest/maven-prog.tgz

- fbset if it is not already is your distro

1. compile the tools above

2. prep the kernel, compile and install it

set these kernel parameters if not done already:

Console drivers-->FrameBuffer Support
	<*> Matrox acceleration   (built in to set at boot time_
        [*] G100/G200/G450/G550 support
        <M> Matrox I2C support  (has to be built as module)
	<M> G400 Second Head Support (tv out for G200)

make clean && make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make
modules_install

(if you do this, make sure you reinstall alsa since the alsa modules
will be gone)

move your bzImage to where you keep your kernel images and reboot

3. Load modules in this order:
    3.1 kernel fb modules
        - i2c-matroxfb
        - matrofxfb_maven
        - matroxfb_crtc2 (only for G400's skip for G200)
    3.2 mgavideo modules
        - run iv4l in the mgavideo directory to load all of your modules

   **note: if I did it the other way around, I got ioctl errors trying
           to display the output on the TV

4.  set up x to use mga driver but also allow it to use fbdev

    from XF86Config:

    <snip>
Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "mga"
        VendorName  "Matrox"
        BoardName   "MGA G200 AGP"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option      "UseFBDev"  "on"  #allows fb for X on TV
        Option      "HWcursor"  "off" #kill artifacts
                                      #around mouse pointer
EndSection

you will also want to set vertrefresh in the monitor section

60 HZ for NTSC, 50 HZ (?) for PAL

5.  Run matroxset to display output on tv

matroxset -f /dev/fb0 -m 3
matroxset -f /dev/fb0 -o 1 2  (for NTSC)

-m tells what to the card what to output to
   1 = monitor, 2 = tv, 3 = both

-o 1 x tells what type of output on the TV
     x = 1 for PAL, x = 2 for NTSC

I did this in a script since you may be typing blind after the first
command.

6.  Use fbset to readjust the screen size on the TV ( of course this
	will affect your monitor too)

Other notes:  when starting restarting X with tv-out enabled it may take
30 seconds or so to see the screen.  I listened in on my monitor, and I
think cy hearing some mode switching sounds) it was trying to find a
decent HorizSync since I had a large range.  I will try to limit it and
see if that helps.  Also when starting mythbackend, the screen goes
blank when initializing the source inputs on video0.  I will see if
maybe it is better to start up mythbackend and then running matroxset
for an automated start up.  If this happens to you, just hit ctl-alt-F1
to jump to a console and then alt-F7 (or whatever X is on) to go back to
X.