[mythtv] transcoding with cutlist

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Aug 12 19:39:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:23:53 -0500, "Geoffrey Hausheer
ou401cru02-at-sneakemail.com |mythtv/1.0-Allow|"
<khm9hhqgzu0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> On 12 Aug 2003 23:59:25 +0200, "Martin Moeller martin-at-martinm-76.dk
> |mythtv/1.0-Allow|" <mvx1hgfxer0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> > Strange. Somehow I never sent this? Part of it has already been said but
> > for completenes...
> >
> > Hmm. Okay, how about this, then?
> >
> > mkfifo /tmp/rawvideo
> > mythtranscoder <opts for stdout raw> > /tmp/rawvideo
> >
> > <other shell>
> > mencoder -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame <bla bla> -o output /tmp/rawvideo
> >
> okay, but what about the audio stream?  how do I supply that to mencoder.
>  Using blocking I/O in mythtranscode, I think a straight pipe would work
> too, I just don't understand how to feed seperate video and audio streams
> without supplying some sort of format.

Well, a couple of minutes work, and I have a crude hack that writes out
raw audio and video to two sepearate files from withing mythtranscode.  I
was then able to build a divx from those raw files using mencoder, so I
assume this can be done with named pipes too.  It should also allow
working with mpeg4 and mp3 files such that mencoder doesn't need to
reencode the files (I haven't tried any of that, i'm just guessing).  the
down side will be that there is no longer any audio/video sync info, and
with dropped frames/commercial cuts, it is likely that there will be
audio drift.

Not sure what to do about that.  Perhaps files can be synced in
mythtranscode, but I'm not really sure how.

.Geoff