[mythtv] unprivileged user?

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Tue Aug 12 20:23:33 EDT 2003

Alan Snyder wrote:

>Doesn't the ability of the application to switch users
>depend upon setuid root and isn't every additional setuid root program a
>security risk?

Not if you are already root, I don't think so :).

How about just outputting a warning to stderr, if the user runs it as
root, advising the user not to do so, instead of actually changing the user?

Changing users would probably have strange effects on the reading of the
config files as well, esp. if you apply it to mythfilldatabase as well
(the XMLTV config files).