[mythtv] DVB-T

Kenneth Aafl°y ke-aa at frisurf.no
Fri Aug 1 23:19:58 EDT 2003

matt.jarvis at philips.com wrote:

> By the sounds of it, I'll hold off until after the weekend :)
> Having said that I am itching to try this so I may well fill
> the database by hand over the weekend - got saturday to myself
> as my other half is going out for the night. Couple of quick
> questions first though :
> 1. Are you guys all working from current cvs ?
> 2. I have heard some conflicting things on this list about
> which dvb driver works with the myth code - I am using the
> latest linuxtv driver ( not dvb-kernel just the plain DVB )
>  - can u confirm which driver works correctly ?

My working setup is:
    - Hauppauge Nexus-S (DVB-S) rev 2.1 (STV0299)
    - Linux Kernel 2.6.0-test2 (plain)
    - CVS linux-dvb (from sometime this week)
    - CVS MythTV

My status on this is:
    - Works with recordings & liveTV
        (The occational crash when changing to a channel with
         a different resolution than the previous.)
    - Nearly there with CAM support (from vdr)

> 3. This is a bit OT but I've had problems with getting dvb and
> bttv to load at startup - is anyone else seeing this ?
> The modules.conf entries with the driver don't seem to do anything.
> If I modprobe the dvb modules from /etc/rc.d/rc.local then bttv
> doesnt work saying it can't find /dev/video ( any of them - and I
> have tested this with xawtv trying multiple different video devices ).
> However, if I do exactly the same commands from a shell after
> everything has loaded it works fine - very confusing. I've got
> a feeling it's something to do with the char-major-81 entry,
> which in my redhat setup is set to bttv, but I don't really
> understand enough about the modules.conf aliases to sort this
> out. Should this be aliased to videodev, and then bttv and dvb
> added as char-major-81-0 and char-major-81-1 ? Any ideas ?

char-major-81  == v4l
char-major-250 == dvb

And also you might be confused about the fact that the dvb
drivers has v4l support (DVB==v4l1 | dvb-kernel==v4l2(v4l1 compat)).

Just my 10 cents.

> I'm really glad you guys have  persevered with this - I know
> Isaac occasionally mutters about getting rid of the dvb code
> as nothing seems to be happening with it, but I think without
> dvb support Myth will lose users in Europe - and for my money
> it's a lot better program than any of the others out there :)

Well, I have not heard anything about Isaac removing the dvb
code, but if he were to do that now, I would have been mighty
mad!

    Yea, It is a good app!

    Thanks to everyone else that's working and have been working
    on it to make it what it is today!

Kenneth