[mythtv] Questions

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Wed Apr 30 11:23:49 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:51:21PM +0100, Paul Smith wrote:

> >> Main question - does anyone know how to use an UIRT2 with Linux? LIRC=20
> >> doesn't seem to support it yet and the UIRT2 people seem to only
> >'support=
> >'=20
> >> it in Windows (with Girder).
> >[snip]
> >
> >You've already guessed at the answer I'm going to recommend, though you
> >won't like it: write the module for LIRC. You get a number of benefits
> >when you do so.
>
> Well, I've had a look, and I'm not sure this would work. It doesn't look as
> if LIRC is expandable in the way, for instance, that Girder on Windows is.
> It looks as if the IR support is hard coded into LIRC, so it detects pulses
> & spaces and you can configure how it handles those. The UIRT2 sends the
> decoded data over the COM port, not the raw pulses & spaces, so it won't
> work with LIRC.

It will, just like an irman works with lirc. In fact, since libirman
exist, probably all one would have to do is modify libirman to work with
the UIRT2.

BTW, UIRT2 looks really interesting for myth, since it has the nifty
WOL/WOR circuit. Turn your myth box on with a remote! Like you ever
turn it off ;).

For the google disabled:
irman
http://www.evation.com/irman/index.html

libirman
http://www.evation.com/libirman/libirman.html
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/software/snapshots/libirman-0.4.2.tar.gz

The libirman library is pretty simplistic too. Most of the heavy lifting
there is the fun of using a serial port in unix, which is beautifully
explained on this page:
http://www.easysw.com/~mike/serial/serial.html

Erik Hovland
mail: erik at hovland.org