[mythtv] Questions

Paul Smith paullocal at pscs.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 13:51:21 EDT 2003

> > Main question - does anyone know how to use an UIRT2 with Linux? LIRC=20
> > doesn't seem to support it yet and the UIRT2 people seem to only 'support=
>'=20
> > it in Windows (with Girder).
>[snip]
>
>You've already guessed at the answer I'm going to recommend, though you
>won't like it: write the module for LIRC. You get a number of benefits
>when you do so.

Well, I've had a look, and I'm not sure this would work. It doesn't look as
if LIRC is expandable in the way, for instance, that Girder on Windows is.
It looks as if the IR support is hard coded into LIRC, so it detects pulses
& spaces and you can configure how it handles those. The UIRT2 sends the
decoded data over the COM port, not the raw pulses & spaces, so it won't
work with LIRC.

Now, I could 'rewrite' LIRC to make it work, but I don't fancy that idea
given my lack of experience with Linux... (It doesn't look as if it would
be easy because the LIRC page doesn't even have the UIRT2 (or RedRat2,
which is also popular) as 'Planned')

However, there is actually a PERL script 'plircc' which can act as a client
for LIRC and send keystrokes to other X programs, so that's giving me clues
about how to do that bit. (especially since I was planning to do most of it
in PERL anyway, at least for a first go)

Paul				VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support at pscs.co.uk			http://www.pscs.co.uk/