[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mpeg stuff

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Tue Apr 29 21:19:06 EDT 2003

> Seeking in live-tv with the mpeg streams should work now.  Almost done.
> Generate a seektable for mpeg files.  Edit mode, commercial skipping, very fast
> seeking should all work now for new recordings.  Database update required.

Isaac, you rule.

I played with it a bit and it seems to be working pretty well.  For my
setup, MythTV is definitely in the "working" stage now and anything
else is just bug fixes and added features :)

I did notice some remaining issues; I don't know if I'll have time to
look into them anytime soon.  I'll try to get some stack traces at
some point.

- Since the seektable is only there for new recordings, I deleted all
  of my old ones.  When they're all deleted, the frontend hangs when I
  enter the "Watch recorded programs" screen.  It displays something
  like "There are no recorded programs" and the screen looks fine,
  but it's hung.

- If I'm watching a recording, hit Escape, and select "Save this
  position", then that recording is permanently unusable: if I try to
  watch it again, the frontend segfaults.  If I choose "Don't save
  this position" instead, everything is fine.

- If a show is recording, and I'm watching it as it records (through
  "Watch recorded programs"), then the total recorded time doesn't
  update in the progress bar.  This prevents me from seeking past a
  certain point, even if the show's already been recorded past that
  point.  For example, if I start watching a show 15 minutes after
  it starts recording, then watch for 15 minutes, I can no longer
  fast forward, even though it's recorded a total of 30 minutes by
  now.  If I exit the recording and enter it again, it updates the
  total time and it's fine.

Anyway, none of those are critical, of course.  Thanks for the MPEG
seeking stuff.

-jim