[mythtv] Re: mkmovie

Charles Choukalos choukalos at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 10:30:11 EDT 2003

Hi Jay,

Just wanted to throw out a quick thanks for working
mkmythmovie... I've been waiting for an easier way to
transcribe myth's nuv files to divx to then burn off
to cd, or send to my other systems.  I too have found
SVCDs to not be worth the effort.  Its easier just
going the home theater PC route, or pipe via RF
modulator the video signal to your tv.  I prefer DIVX.
 Now having said that... what I'd like to suggest, is
a simple addition to your script (this is what I used
to rip my DVD movies).

I do my rips based upon 700mb CD sizes.
If a move is > 89mins length, then its fit to 2 CD's,
otherwise it fits to 1 CD.

If a movie is considered LQ (ie cheesy movie, not
super interested in it, or recorded with really low
resolutions)... anything less then 120 mins is 1 CD,
otherwise its 2 CDs.

I then run a simple bitrate calculation to come up
with Videobitrate and Audiobit rate.  it tends to work
fairly well for my purposes.  Then I can burn cd's at
my leisure.  But if you want a push button burn to
CDr... I'd say bail on SVCD, and just have a push
button burn divx to CDR...  then put code in MythVideo
that lets you watch a movie in the cd rom drive  (I
think they're working on this... be it dvd, svcd, vcd,
divx, etc...)

Just my .02

-Chuck