[mythtv] DVB integration - first attempt!

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Wed Apr 23 13:50:47 EDT 2003

Edward Wildgoose wrote:

>I'm thinking that a small perl script wrapped around dvbstream would take care of creating a suitable device for myth to access.  We can then start working on the myth side and I am happy to knock you up an mpeg stream which just plays in a loop and gets stuffed down the socket in order to simulate the effect of having a card.

I don't think that will be terribly useful. dvbstream, when used with 2
PIDs (one aud, one vid), should provide me with basically a streamed
MPEG file, not? I can use any MPEG file for that. What I am wondering
about is if the timing does matter. dvbstream as well as PVR250 should
provide it in realtime playback speed, while a recorded/played back
stream would come in as fast as possible. I am not sure how the MythTV
code would react to that.

Apart from that, it's useless to test the other (first) approach of
incorporating everything into Myth - I need to be able to access the DVB
device nodes to test that.

>But I'm thinking that something as simple as this could grab the output of dvbstream and stuff it into a named pipe.  From here on we can just worry about mythtv reading from /dev/video

This is where my knowledge ends. I have no experience with accessing hw
devices, I have no clue, if there is any difference between a Unix
socket, stdout and /dev/video or /dev/adapter0/dvr0.