[mythtv] Musings On Standard File Formats

Edward Wildgoose edward.wildgoose at frmhedge.com
Sat Apr 19 01:52:19 EDT 2003

> Time for me to be obnoxious, but I've got to ask a repeat of a question
> which has been asked at least once, and I've never really seen a very
> satisfactory answer to it: Why doesn't MythTV use standard file formats?

Sorry, good question, but I think it has been done to death.  I don't see
Isaac (the main developer) keen to change this, so the question is probably
somewhat moot anyway...?

There is a transcoding script in development at the moment.  Take a look at
that and see if it won't help.

There are obviously reasons why the original nuppel video format was tweaked
slightly (rather than staying compatible).  Certainly it does appear to
allow multiple types of encoding in a single file though (rtjpeg, mpeg4 and
now mpeg2), I don't think that other file formats would easily allow this?