[mythtv] Musings On Standard File Formats

Michael J. Pedersen michael.j.pedersen at verizon.net
Fri Apr 18 20:23:52 EDT 2003

Time for me to be obnoxious, but I've got to ask a repeat of a question
which has been asked at least once, and I've never really seen a very
satisfactory answer to it: Why doesn't MythTV use standard file formats?

With standard file formats, I could actually archive off old shows that
I like enough to want to be able to watch again WITHOUT messiness like
the following output from mencoder:

-----<cut here>-----
OBMC not supported (very likely buggy encoder)
Static Sprites not supported
N-bit not supported
quant precission 11
Complexity estimation not supported
scalability not supported
OBMC not supported (very likely buggy encoder)
Static Sprites not supported
N-bit not supported
quant precission 11
Complexity estimation not supported
scalability not supported
-----<cut here>-----

And yes, I just copy/pasted that from some output from mencoder. I know
the answer I've seen: That people like the flexibility of a custom file
format. The argument against it, though, is that having a standard
format lets the user do so much more than having a custom one.

Is there any reason other than this, and I just don't know it?