[mythtv] Re: CONTRIB: startup script for mythbackend (Mandrake 9.1 + others?)

Mike Thomson linux at m-thomson.net
Thu Apr 17 01:47:06 EDT 2003

Hi folks

Time to put back a tiny bit! I knocked up the following when I found out
about the -d flag (daemon) on mythbackend. Hopefully others will find it
useful. Perhaps Robert may want to add it into the docs for 0.9?

I've tested this on Mandrake 9.1. Please let me know of problems (with
solutions if you can find one) with other distros / versions.

Three lines may need changed. I don't know of a way to robustly detect the
location of the mythbackend binary, or to decide where the log file should
go. Therefore I stuck 'em in as variables:

    # Name of the mythbackend binary

    # Directory containing the mythbackend binary

    # Full path to the mythbackend binary

The script needs to go in /etc/rc.d/init.d, with ownership root:root and
permissions of 0744.  I configured it similarly to mysql:

root at mythpc # chkconfig --level 35 mythbackend on
root at mythpc # /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend start