[mythtv] Recording Profiles

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Wed Apr 16 17:39:18 EDT 2003

Isaac Richards wrote
> > > It's not a bug.
> >
> > Could you elaborate then.
> >
> > The recording profile for LiveTV are being used for recording a
> > scheduled recording.  That's unexpected behavior, as well as undesired
> > behavior.  I expected it to use the Default recording profile for
> > scheduled recordings.
>
> If you want it to not use the LiveTV profile, don't tell it you'll watch along
> with the recording.  Exit out of watching live tv and start watching from the
> playback screen once the recording has started.

that seems counter-intuitive to me.  why would you ever want
to record a show to disk using the LiveTV profile?  If you
wanted to do so, why wouldn't you create a recording profile
with those options?

It seemed to me that choosing "I'll watch during recording"
was simply a shortcut to going thru the steps of stopping
watching LiveTV and selecting the show under playback.

This really doesn't impact me much at this time because I
currently happen to use the same settings for "LiveTV" and
"default".  Reason: my backend machine doesn't run a frontend,
so watching livetv or watching a recording while the same or
another is recording requires the same amount of cpu.

However, when the rest of the recording profile support is
completed, I'll always want a show to record at its configured
profile settings regardless of whether or not I happened to be
watching it when it started (otherwise I wouldn't have gone to
the effort to make those choices).

I know this is your baby, Isaac, but thought I'd share my view. :)

-Chris