[mythtv] DB Schema Suggestions

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:27:07 EDT 2003

On 14 Apr 2003 13:18:25 -0400, "Michael J. Pedersen
michael.j.pedersen-at-verizon.net |mythtv/1.0-Allow|"
<boc4hd5dkh0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:32:16PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > I won't be accepting anything into the main tree that takes recordings
> out of
> > a format that's playable by mythtv.  That's functionality that's best
> left to
> > a completely separate tool.
>
> Entirely justified. However, it's worth considering that the output
> would, very definitely, be playable my mythvideo. Furthermore, it has
> uses which go along with the transcoding options being worked out right
> now (for instance: transcoding could also be used to transcode to a
> format suitable for long term archiving). Obviously, I can't (and won't)
> demand these changes, but they are still useful to consider adding in.

In fact I've been considering this as long term for the transcoder work
I've been doing.  with the new avformatdecoder stuff (and the virtual
decoder design) myth could easily play back other formats.  I'm
specifically interested in encoding to MPEG2 for long-term storage (since
that way I can create DVD's in the future).  I don't like the mencoder
method, because it is kinda cludgy, but if myth has native decoders (and
eventually encoders), using any format that ffmpeg/nuppelvideo supports
should be doable.  This is all ong off though, as I need (a) to get my
transcoder up to snuff, and (b) get Isaac to accept it, and then perhaps
working on supporting additional formats would be an option.

Anyhow,  I agree that support for an archival format would ba a big gain
for myth, but I think it is better to work within the bounds of myth, as
it makes it easier for the end user.

.Geoff