[mythtv] Separate Record and Play boxes? (system design)

Dave Caplinger mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:36:38 -0500

I know there has been some discussion in the last several weeks about
the possibility of separating the computer that records from the one
that plays the video, and because of the high CPU & disk (and thus heat
and noise) requirements for high-resolution recording, I'm also leaning
in this direction.  I just wanted to verify the current status, and make
sure I understand the consequences of trying to do this (or working with
whomever is working on it already).

If I wanted to build a 2-system MythTV system, with the assumption that
the play-box would be a small, relatively slow (compared to the other
system), QUIET system, is it a foregone conclusion that I'd lose the
"Watch Live TV" option?  I can live with that, but I want to make sure
the assumption is valid.  (I assume I'd lose the upcoming PIP as well.)

Are those of you with working MythTV boxes concerned about how much
noise your MythTV system makes in whatever room your TV is in?  How do
you keep your systems quiet enough that you can stand watching TV in the
same room with them without cooking the components due to lack of
cooling, etc?  Maybe I'm over-estimating the need to separate the
recorder and player systems.

Anyway, It seems like you'd be able to keep a player system quiet by
running it diskless with a Cyrix CPU of some kind (no fan at all!).  If
all the storage is remote, though, you might have to have a separate
"video LAN" to make sure the recorder and player could never have their
network communication interrupted by other traffic.

- Dave