[mythtv] seg faults when changing channel...I checked that the dbase contains data

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:23:16 -0400

On Thursday 05 September 2002 08:51 pm, Chris Kleeschulte wrote:
> I am sure how to recompile for debugging. How is this done?
>

> Is this having to do with 'gprof'?

Ah.  For this, all you need to do is make distclean first, edit the
settings.pro file and uncomment the first line and comment out the second
line.  Then just re-make everything.

You'll probably just want to run mythtv, not mythfrontend to try to reproduce
the bug.  You may need to drop the resolution down a bit to make up for the
speed loss that having it compiled without optimizations and running inside
of gdb will get you..

So, just 'gdb /path/to/mythtv'.  If you get it to crash, you'll probably have
to alt-tab to the term window you started it in, since the video output
window will still be shown full screen.  Just type 'bt' at the prompt to have
it show you a backtrace of the crash.  It'll tell you what sourcefile/line it
died on, basically..  Just send me the full output of the backtrace, and that
_should_ be enough for me to see what made it die.

gprof is another tool, not really related to gdb.  It's used to profile a
program -- see how long routines take to run, how many times they're called,
that sort of thing.

Isaac