[mythtv] Remote Controls / Stability

Calvin Harrigan mythtv-dev@snowman.net
05 Oct 2002 21:45:41 -0400

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 23:53, Grant Taylor wrote:
> > My chipset is a VIA KT266.  There are scattered reports of VIA's PCI
> > implementation being awful; this article describes a bug that may very
>
> So making the register changes described below does seem to have made
> an improvement.  I can now run using mpeg4 at 480x480 without getting
> jitter.  Larger resolutions still don't work, possibly due to my
> conservative memory settings.
>
> http://www.networking.tzo.com/net/software/readmes/techvl019d.htm
>
> I translated this web page from English to Bourne Again, in case
> anyone else wants to try this:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to get rid of the
stuttering on my box by upgrading the kernel to 2.4.19.  I was running
.18 before.  Turns out the chipset on my motherboard wasn't being
properly recognized by the kernel.  I had to do some other kernel hacks
after the upgrade to get everything going.  No big hacks just a few
lines posted to the kernel message board by the ide driver guy.  Don't
you love open source!!!  :)  I also fine tuned my bios to give the best
performance.  The most important/effective was increasing the pci
latency, 128 for me.  Turns out by doing so you increase the effective
bandwith of the pci bus, there was a side effect, just can't remember
right now. No ill effects yet.  I knew it couldn't be a cpu issue
because I was only using like 45% CPU in TV view mode.  Running at
640x480 requires the capture card to spit out over 18 megabytes per
second, so I figured a little more bandwidth couldn't hurt.

Calvin...