[mythtv] Hard lockup

Thor Johnson mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:44:49 -0500

Argh... can someone help me find the culprit?

Symptom:
  I am fine as long as I don't watch live tv (I haven't tried recording
  shows yet either...).  When I watch live TV, it will sometimes work for
  a minute or two then lock HARD (no ctl-alt-f1, no nothing).  Most times,
  it will lock just after the audio starts up.

Hardware:
  NForce M/B:
    Duron 700
    Integrated GForceMX (32MB Shared Video Ram)
    Integrated Sound (ALSA: intel8x0 driver)
  Avermedia TV Studio (detected and works as a TvPhone '98)
  Maxtor 120GB 2MB harddrive (manually turned DMA on...
     doesn't seem to matter for stability & it makes a huge difference)

Software:
  Mandrake 9.0: V4L, V4L2, xawtv, motv packages, KDE
  nVidia binary drivers (from website yesterday)
    Kernel RPM from
http://nekropolis.assetdisk.com/faq_list.php?subject=NVidia+Linux+Drivers
  ALSA from CVS yesterday (I saw the note on mythtv's webpage...
                should I have gone backwards instead?)
  LIRC from CVS (today)
  mythtv 0.7, and all the install stuff from the README-MDK file.

Things I've done:
  1. Run xawtv
  2. Run xmms w/Alsa output plugin (stereo, playing MP3s)
  3. Run irw (remote OK)

Any ideas on what I should test?  Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a bind --
the motherboard
has only 1 slot!

TIA,
Thor Johnson