[mythtv] Clarification

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:07:38 -0500

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 11:51 pm, Robert Dege wrote:
> Back when M$ was trying to sell their own DVR (UltimateTV I believe?),
> one of their biggest selling points was the capability of recording
> 2 different channels at the same time.
>
> Now I know that Isaac has pics of picture in picture functionality, which
> I assume came from 2 tuner cards.  But what about being able to record 2
> channels at the same time?  I know this would really put a monkey wrench
> in the "conflicting recordings" section, but would this be a viable
> extension of functionality?

It already does this.   It automatically bumps programs around as much as it
can to different tuner cards to resolve any conflicts, and then the rest of
the UIs work as normally.

> Also, what about recording one channel while taping another channel?
> Or can that be done with a single tuner card?

Recording one while taping another?  Mean, watching another?  Needs two tuner
cards, and again, it already does this. =)

> What about DVD capabilities?  Any thoughts pro/con about integrating the
> feature in the future?

I don't need any DVD capabilities right now, so someone else will have to do
things..  Although, just adding a simple button to the menu that plays a DVD
with another player if its in the drive is easy, and such mods have been
posted to the list before.  I'd want it to do some rudimentary disc type
detection before I'd accept anything into the distribution, though.

Isaac