[mythtv] Hardware advice (Via Eden Board) / Video Card.

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:59:17 -0700

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:44:43PM +0000, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:
> Discovered MythTV last night and very, very impressed.
> But I need to dedicate (and buy) some hardware for the system.
>

> I have two choices:
>
> 1) Buy a Via Eden board.
> Not sure about these cheap boards, ? 80 with 800Mhz chip on board,
> integrated video (with TVout), sound and LAN. Linux compatibility is the
> worst - so far through lots of searching google  - asking here if anyone
> knows of show stoppers.

You might want to check the archives since this (and some other options for
a small dedicated machine have been discussed a bit very recently.  IMHO the
Eden will not be fast enough.

> I've not found specific chipsets used. It's critical that the on-board
> stuff works because it only has one PCI slot for the capture card. It's
> advantage is that it's fanless- so won't keep me awake at night!
> Dedicated an Athlon with huge fan is too noisy!!

An Athlon doesn't have to be noisy but you could also look for a P3-Tutilane
(sp) or P4 based solution as well.  A high end P3 would be easier to make
really quiet than an Athlon or P4 and still be much faster than a VIA
solution.

> http://www.viavpsd.com/products/epia_mini_itx_spec.jsp
>
> 2) Use my old AMD K6-3 450Mhz - but I'd need to find a new video card
> (cheap) with TV-out...
> What card is recommended?

If your existing card works fine but is missing TV-out you might want to get
a scan converter box instead.

--
Ray