[mythtv] Interesting performance improvement

Erik Arendse mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:20:53 +0100

At 21-11-02 00:26, you wrote:
>On Wednesday 20 November 2002 05:52 pm, rob wrote:
> > About #2...  I've been thinking for a while about trying to eliminate
> > the database dependency entirely from MythTV.
(...)
 > Sorry, but that's not going to happen.  The benefits of using a database
far
 > outweigh the any minor setup issues due to requiring one.

In fact I am thinking about implementing a real relational scheme one
withing the SQL database (medium priority or below for me). Improving
indexes, cascaded delete, foreign keys, all validation & default rules in
the database instead of the filling tool, the works.
I must confess that my only database experience is with the big commercial
programs, never ran MySQL before MythTV. But I'd like to have a look at its
support for stored procedures, triggers, etc.

The main reason for all this is that if you run MythTV as TiVo replacement
(settop blackbox) which is my final target, you must be sure all data stays
consistent and the database doesn't end up collection garbage. Dependency
on duplicated database fillingrules in MythTV, mythfilldatabase and
external direct filling tvguide scrapers will then disappear.

Is there any particular reason for the dumb standalone tables in the
current implementation?

Erik