[mythtv] OSD features (caller id, time)

rob mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:10:34 -0600

I remember a while ago, maybe in the Tivo forums, a discussion about
adding a caller ID feature such that when the phone rings, the phone
number and other caller id information is displayed on-screen, which
would be easier to read than on the caller ID box or phone display.  I'm
sure this wouldn't be difficult to implement, but I don't have an analog
modem to play with.

The other thing that I think might be nice to have would be a display of
the current time on the main menu and program guide.  It might be nice
to have it on the "Manage Recordings" menu, also, since it doesn't take
up much space (5 characters).  Of course, it could be driven by a
configure-file option, so it wouldn't need to be displayed on the
screens of people who don't want it there.

Another thought ran through my head today.  How about a periodic
download of the current weather conditions in your area (driven by zip
code in the settings file), displayed on the main menu?  What about a
news ticker, with the current headlines from some news source?  Maybe
the ultimate goal would be a plug-in architecture where one or multiple
additional programs or modules could be called to deliver certain
information to Mythfrontend?  After all, this is about convergence, right?