[mythtv] Couple Newbie Questions -- One Step Closer

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:21:08 -0700

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 11:55:50AM -0800, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
> OK, I'm actually getting closer to getting 'mythtv' up (I think).  MANY
> thanks to Ray and Allen for their kind help.  This morning I was actually
> able to get a green-screen (obviously the wrong input channel).  When I
> hit 'c' to try and change to Composite3, my machine locked up.
>
> Of course, this has spurred a few more questions for the experts (sorry
> for the newbie questions, I really am trying here!):
>
> 1.  Do I need oss support?  I tried to look thru the archives, but the
> lack of a search feature makes it a bit difficult.

What do you mean?  If you're talking about alsa's oss emulation then the
answer is yes.  Even if you wern't using Mythtv you'd want that.

> 2.  Under KDE, I went to the kernel modification section.  Do I need to
> COMPLETELY turn off sound support, or just everything minus the top-level
> sound support feature?

I've never seen a kernel modification section under KDE, maybe that is a RH
or KDE3 feature?  All I can tell you about sound under KDE is that you want
the sound server turned off.  It may work with the sound server on with some
sound cards but off is the safe answer.

> 3.  Again in KDE under the control console kernel modifications section, I
> noticed that video4linux was NOT ENABLED, however, I have been able to run
> xawtv.  Do I need to enable it?  Seems like I do, but it wasn't enabled
> before.
>
> 4.  I've found conflicting info on this.  Under RH8, how do I find out
> what /dev my new alsa driver is using?  Is it /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c?

You'll be using the alsa oss emulation so it should be using the same device
that it would use with the regular oss drivers.  On my Debian system it's
/dev/dsp or /dev/dsp0.  I havn't used devfs (which you seem to have) but
maybe something like /dev/snd/dsp0?

> 5.  What's the easiest way to test if ALSA is working correctly?  I DO
> know that the alsa mod is loading up properly, I just don't hear anything!

Try playing some normal wave or mp3 files with a simple player app.  I use
wavp (not sure what package it's part of) or mpg123.  If your player app
acts like it's playing but you don't hear anything then probably 1 or more
of your mixer settings is muted.  Please note that just turning the volume
up does NOT unmute it.  Use alsamixer or amixer to unmute the sound.

--
Ray