[mythtv] playback quality

Allen T. Gilliland IV mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 01:07:18 -0800 (PST)

The quality loss I am getting in the video looks like
the video isn't able to keep up.  The frames have
tears in them that flicker ... not a whole lot ... but
enough and constant.  I am also losing frames
regularly.  I would guess that it is my cpu not
keeping up ... or my HD not keeping up.

I measured my HD speed using hdparm.

#hdparm -t /dev/hda

15MB/s seems awful slow to be doing writes and reads
from the disc constantly ... especially recorded video
and audio.

I am doubtful that it is my video card, tv card, or
sound card ... however I was getting much better
playback on my normal station ... a 2.4GHz + gf4 Ti
... so there is some difference between the two that
is causing this loss of quality.

-- Allen