[mythtv] Hardware Platform

Henk Poley mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:21:13 +0100

> Van: Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>
>> On Tuesday 31 December 2002 10:49 am, Andrew B wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone tried it on the VIA EPIA motherboards? They are highly
>> integrated and fit in mini iTX cases (17cm square motherboard). They
>> have audio, video (with TV-out including S-Video), lan, usb, firewire
>> (and even MPEG2 decoding in the M series) all in hardware.
>
> I don't see why everyone's so impressed by the size of these.  Anything
> smaller than a standard audio component is just silly -- there's plenty
> of desktop cases that take full-sized motherboards (and thus modern
> CPUs), aren't any bigger than your standard AV receiver, and won't look
> out of place in most people's setups.

Why? Well, it's either space, or taste...

Our VCR is currently fitted in a nice solon-table height box for the
cassettes, the TV is standing on this table. Where to put the Myth-box?
It'll probably be next to it, since the VCR will stay along for a while
(..legacy..).

We could also put MythTV behind the TV-table, in the closet next to it, or
in the box. Either of these, smaller would be better, easier to hide it.

Another, kinda geeky thing, have you ever looked inside a TV? Seen the
space in there? Go figure :-)

	Henk Poley <><

BTW: Anybody seen these "cappuchino" PIV PC's. No? Froogle on them in the
computer section. There won't fit any extension card in it so it's pretty
useless for MythTV. But it does have USB (..WinTV USB..), don't know if
it's the usefull USB2.0 version though.