[mythtv] Start using Mythtv/cvs

Lego Andy mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:02:26 -0500

Hi Matt,

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:51:40 -0500
Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> If you would like to write a nice self-test suite for mythtv, I think
> that would be great.  However, I suspect you'll find that it's a few
> orders of magnitude more difficult than regression testing something
> like cmake or vtk.

This might not be such a bad idea. I will look into that.

> None of the problems you have reported have represented any loss of data
> or even impaired your ability to use MythTV.  You seem to be implying
> that the MythTV CVS code does not "at least seem to work", and that the
> developers do not test significant changes before committing them.  This
> is insulting, and seems to have no basis in fact.

I am so sorry for my statement, now that I read it again, it sounds
insulting. I was not trying to imply that mythtv does not work. What I
meant to say was that using CVS is a valid thing to do. Couple of
e-mails back you said that I should use "stable" version. I was trying
to say that CVS version should also "at least seem to work", so it is
ok for somebody like me to use it. Sorry for misunderstanding.

> Debian unstable seems like a reasonable analogue.  The basic criteria
> for unstable are things like "works for me" and "passes self-tests".
> More subtle problems than that are found through user testing.  Users
> volunteer for testing by running unstable.
> This seems to be more or less how MythTV CVS works as well.

That sounds great. That means that saying that let say "default IP in
file xy should be localhost", or "the mythtv crashes if directory xy
does not exits" are valid things to say, since they are in the
category of "subtle problems that are found through user testing".

Thank you.

				Andy