[mythtv] Linux DVR News

John S Flowers mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:27:36 -0600

re: freeplayTV

One project we're trying to get finished is DVD recording with MythTV.

The site is mostly about getting people the resources they need to
build a PVR (using MythTV, of course), even if they aren't that
technical. You'll notice a whole smattering of the site is dedicated to
putting together the hardware and actually building the kernel (and
other apps) to get MythTV working.

By the way, getting DVD working isn't the tough part. The toughest
thing about DVD is writing a DVD using MPEG-2. We can play DVDs all day
long. It's the process of migrating the recorded shows onto a Video DVD
that turns out to be the hardest work. Mostly because I don't want to
wait around while the system re-encodes everything into MPEG-2.

If we could just write directly to MPEG-2 and then burn a DVD
on-demand, without encoding the recording again, that would be
wonderful.

On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 06:14  AM, Henk Poley wrote:

> http://freeplaytv.org/
>  - this guy is working on intergrating DVD in MythTV (isn't it?). Could
> become a 'unstable' (you get the jargon) development site?

/-
| John S Flowers  <johnsflowers | j.flowers > @mac.com
www.scruffythinker.com
| Writer | Security Guru | Philosopher | Writer's Cult  |
www.freeplaytv.org
www.nCircle.com )