[mythtv] "Strange Error Flushing Buffer" problem

Bruce Markey mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:52:16 -0800

Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 December 2002 11:07 am, Richard Bowman wrote:
>
>>Dec 16 22:30:22 localhost kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0f.0
>>Dec 16 22:30:22 localhost kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:07.2
>>Dec 16 22:30:22 localhost kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:07.3
>>Dec 16 22:30:22 localhost kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:0f.1
>>Dec 16 22:30:22 localhost kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:10.0
>>Dec 16 22:30:22 localhost kernel: bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 00:0f.0, irq:
>>11, latency: 32, memory: 0xe3025000
>

> Not positive, but having everything in your box share a single IRQ might be
> causing your problems.  I'd try turning off acpi or whatever it is in the
> BIOS that causes this and see..

Ya, five things sharing the same IRQ is unexpected. You
probably want to change this even if it doesn't fix this
specific problem.

"cat /proc/pci" will show info for all PCI devices including
their IRQs. Motherboards are all different but most list the
PCI devices and their IRQs just before the LILO menu come up.

Look in you motherboard's user's manual for PCI Configuration
and Integrated Peripherals. Disable on-board devices that you
won't be using. I don't have a printer attached so I disable
the parallel port to free up IRQ 7. Other things you might
be able to turn off: COM2, USB, on-board sound, etc. If there
is an option the enable or disable ACPI try reversing it.

When I put in a first tuner card, it always shared an IRQ
with the network card. I believe it was because the slots
shared the same line. By switching the slots the card were
in, I got the tuner card to have an IRQ that wasn't shared
(of course, the tuner has a video and audio device so .0
and .1 of the device are always listed with the same IRQ).
It doesn't have to be the only thing on an IRQ but I'd rather
not have it share with the network or disk.

Hope this helps,

--  bjm