Robert Dege mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:23:10 -0500 (EST)

Just an FYI for anyone with a future/similar problem.

Apparently, the VT8233A VT8233C and VT8235 VIA chipsets are not supported
in the < 2.4.18 kernels.  Support for these chipsets has been added to
2.4.20 & 2.5.2+.  dunno about 2.4.19, but I'm assuming it does since
viaarena.com doesn't have a patch for that kernel.

www.ViaArena.com had good documentation, good patches, and diagnosed my
problem to a 'T'.

Now I'm sporting a 46MB/s disk read instead of 6MB/s.

-Rob

> It sounds like your IDE controller is not supported. Check the
> /var/log/messages looking for like:
>
>  kernel: SIS5513: detected chipset, but driver not compiled in!
>
> The SIS5513 is my chipset. I'm not sure about your mother board. I had a
> problem with the MSI recently. Try the 2.4.20 kernel out and the new VIA
> controllers have been added.
>
> Robert Dege wrote:
>
> >I know this isn't a "direct" myth issue, but it's pissing me off cuz I
> >can't find a solution.
> >
> >I'm trying to build a dedicated Myth-box.  I got myself the Shuttle SK41G
> >XPC, and a 100GB WD HD.  I ordered an 80GB, but the reseller was kind
> >enough to send me a 100GB, while only billing me for the 80 :)
> >
> >Anyways, I do a RedHat 7.3 install.  After the install, I check hdparm -t
> >/dev/hda.  I'm only getting 6MB/s,  it's like PIO mode 0!  So I
> >immediately try to set dma -> 1, and I get an error message saying that
> >the operation is not permitted.  It defaults back to zero.
> >
> >I used the Knoppix boot disk, with the same results.... and gentoo.  So
> >I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem.  So I swap out the HD & use
> >the Knoppix/gentoo boot disks.  Same hdparm result, dma -> 1 not
> >permitted.  I also did a bunch of BIOS tweaks/test/reset to defaults/etc
> >but nothing helped.
> >
> >I decide to use SiSoft Sandra for additional HD info.  So I install XP,
> >get SiSoft Sandra up & running.  Device Manager shows XP using UDMA Mode
> >5, and SiSoft Sandra reports about 40MB/s with sequential read/write.  I
> >reboot with the knoppix boot CD & am still getting 6MB/s with hdparm -t
> >/dev/hda
> >
> >wtf is going on??  what am I missing?

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me