[mythtv] hdparm

Joe mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:20:30 -0700

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
I shouldn't write email before my first coffee in the morning.<br>
The MSI motherboard I picked up a few months ago had the VIA KT266
Chipset. The kernel did not reconize this chipset for the IDE
controller. I got the same message you did and it frustrated me for a
few days. I looked into the kernel and it was a simple fix to add the
new chipset. I believe the KT266 chipset was not supported until 2.4.19.<br>
If you run lspci you should see something like the following:<br>
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266]<br>
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B PIPC Bus Master
IDE (rev 06)<br>
If it comes up unknown than you will not be able to set the DMA option
as the kernel will use generic IDE controller functions.<br>
I'm not familiar with the KM266 chipset. <br>
Robert Dege wrote:<br>
 cite="midPine.SOL.4.30.0212131035510.20601-100000@yeager.cse.Buffalo.EDU">
  <pre wrap="">It does seem feesible, even though I'm skeptical about it being a
simple kernel issue.  btw, the chipset is a VIA KM266.

I was using a test machine originally with Redhat 7.3, which was running
on a MSI M570 MOBO.  The sis chipset was not recognized, nor the agp port.
But I was still able to control dma with the stock kernel.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check it out when I get home &amp;
re-install 7.3.

-Rob

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">It sounds like your IDE controller is not supported. Check the
/var/log/messages looking for like:

 kernel: SIS5513: detected chipset, but driver not compiled in!

The SIS5513 is my chipset. I'm not sure about your mother board. I had a
problem with the MSI recently. Try the 2.4.20 kernel out and the new VIA
controllers have been added.

Robert Dege wrote:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">I know this isn't a "direct" myth issue, but it's pissing me off cuz I
can't find a solution.

I'm trying to build a dedicated Myth-box.  I got myself the Shuttle SK41G
XPC, and a 100GB WD HD.  I ordered an 80GB, but the reseller was kind
enough to send me a 100GB, while only billing me for the 80 :)

Anyways, I do a RedHat 7.3 install.  After the install, I check hdparm -t
/dev/hda.  I'm only getting 6MB/s,  it's like PIO mode 0!  So I
immediately try to set dma -&gt; 1, and I get an error message saying that
the operation is not permitted.  It defaults back to zero.

I used the Knoppix boot disk, with the same results.... and gentoo.  So
I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem.  So I swap out the HD &amp; use
the Knoppix/gentoo boot disks.  Same hdparm result, dma -&gt; 1 not
permitted.  I also did a bunch of BIOS tweaks/test/reset to defaults/etc
but nothing helped.

I decide to use SiSoft Sandra for additional HD info.  So I install XP,
get SiSoft Sandra up &amp; running.  Device Manager shows XP using UDMA Mode
5, and SiSoft Sandra reports about 40MB/s with sequential read/write.  I
reboot with the knoppix boot CD &amp; am still getting 6MB/s with hdparm -t
/dev/hda

wtf is going on??  what am I missing?

Rob

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me