[mythtv] performance

Neil Trodden mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:32:59 +0000

At 16:07 13/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>My hard drive is pretty old, I did some tweaking with hdparm and 23 Mb was
>about the best I could do.  Would A faster hard drive or more memory
>actually increase my performance or am I CPU bound?

The only time memory would be an issue is when mythtv used all of it (which
it certainly doesn't :-)
  and you swapped out, but that's all that'd happen. I don't think the CPU
usage would go up that much in that case anyway, you'd just drop frames. At
the very least, playback would be smooth until you had a backlog of 200-ish
MB of video waiting to be spooled to disc.

If your hard disc could write out at 64MB/sec, memory wouldn't be that much
of an issue because the movie data would not tie up available memory
waiting to be written to disc. And think of the extra room for recordings!

--

Neil Trodden