[mythtv] dvd revisited (and remoted)

Larry Matter mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:43:14 -0800 (PST)

Now that client/server is making its way into mythtv, I would like to
bring up dvd playing again.

>From looking over the (now searchable) archives, it seems that folks are
interested in playing dvd's locally or capturing dvds into a file;
However, I am more interested in being able to stream the dvd in my server
to my (possibly diskless) settop box.

Has any one else looked into this?  From reading the home page of
videolan.org, it looks like streaming dvd's is possible but I still need
to read the docs to find out how feasible it is.

Is there any interest/need in integrating this into mythtv beyond adding
an option to mainmenu.xml?  Personally I don't care how it works as long
as it does. I would be happy to call out to videolan or whatever for this.

Issues that I can think of beyond just getting the content streamed are
menu navigation and pause/ff/rew/etc.

BTW, I haven't checked out the latest source yet; how is mythbackend
sending data to mythfrontend?  Homebrew protocol?

Thanks,
Larry