[mythtv] Another newbie/hardware question...

mythtv-dev@snowman.net mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:35:37 -0600 (CST)

On 12 Dec, Thor Johnson wrote:
>>I'm looking at getting a Shuttle SB51G case & motherboard with a P4
>>2.53Ghz - I'm assuming thats plenty enough processor ;) The on-board
>>Audio is listed as the Realtek ALC 650 - does anyone have any experience
>>with this?
>
> There has been success with using the Realtek card with ALSA --
> use the intel8x0 driver.  I haven't heard of any problems on the
> Alsa-User list.

I got the SS51G (note the SS, not SB) and am having trouble with the on
board sound and ALSA. Its the SS51G that has the ACL 650 sound. The SB
has an Intel chipset which is probably closer to a real i810 than the
SiS chipset of the SS. I'm assuming the original author got the Shuttle
models confused. He may want to consider the SB51G over the SS51G..

I also had problems with the onboard Realtek 8139C ethernet running
kernel 2.4.20 in IO-ACPI mode. If you turn off ACPI, it seems to work
ok.

Otherwise the shuttle is a really cool little box.

-matthew