[mythtv] Possible Feature?

Calvin Harrigan mythtv-dev@snowman.net
11 Dec 2002 22:04:51 -0500

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 20:43, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Ray wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 06:24:21PM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> >
> >>Why not have an option that says "keep X versions of this show".  So if you
> >>select to record the news every day, you could say keep 1 copy so it would
> >>overwrite every morning.  Then when you said to record say "Law & Order"
> >>anytime it came on, you could say to keep 4 copies of it so it would keep the
> >>latest 4 episodes.  You could set it to 5 to keep the M-F versions of a show
> >>that comes on every weekday.
> >

> > While that would be nice, even just a "delete the oldest show if necessary
> > to make room for the new one" would be nice.  I normally don't care how many
> > old episodes of any given program are kept but I don't want current
> > recording to fail due to lack of space and I don't want to have to manually
> > delete every show.
> >

> I agree completely. The most important feature here is to
> make sure there is always enough room for new recordings.
> Probably needs low and high water marks to clear some amount
> of space when space is too tight.
>
> I've assumed that things like limiting the number of episodes
> would come in time after there are mechanisms for setting per
> recording options. We can see this coming in the recording
> profiles to set encoding quality on a per-recording basis.
>
> Along with automatic deletion and limiting the number of
> episodes, there should also be the ability to mark a
> recorded show to be exempt from deletion.
>
> --  bjm

I think this might have come up before, but here goes anyways.
Have you ever just wanted to record part of a show and if you record the
entire thing it conflicts with another scheduled recording?
Here's the scenario.  I typically only watch the tonight show for the
first half hour, it usually starts at 11:35pm and ends at 12:35am.
There's another show that I record regulary at 12:30AM.  Needless to say
it conflicts and I can only record one.  I guess what I would like is a
way to manually setup a recording time.  Say manually input 11:35pm -
12:00am and then have everything record as expected.
Too far fetched.  I'm experimenting with the database and so far it
seems possible, just need to add it to the gui/code.  If no one else is
working on this and it seems usable to enough folks, I would like to
take a stab at it.

Calvin...