[mythtv] A couple Questions, seeking opinions.

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:36:50 -0700

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 02:04:05PM -0500, Calvin Harrigan wrote:

> 1.  Are any of you using autologin for your mythtv boxen?  If so how did
> you accomplish this.  I am not running KDE or GNOME, so using them to
> autologin is not an option.  I'm currently running myth on a gentoo 1.2
> setup.  Using TWM as the windows manager.

You can install & use kdm (or gdm for that matter) without actually using
kde as your wm.  I have kdm running on all the machines here and when I log
in it brings up fvwm.  When my wife logs in it brings up kde.

> 2. Do any of you use any advanced power management on you boxen?  You
> know more than just shutting the HD down.  Like suspend or even sleep.
> I'm thinking something along the lines of putting/forcing the machine to
> sleep until disturbed or a recording is to take place.

I enable use of the hlt instruction and screen blanking and HD shutdown
(combined with noflushd) on all machines that support them.  I don't think
suspend mode is viable since the machine would have no way of waking up when
it was time to record.  Actually if all of the above are supported on your
hardware then I don't think you'd gain that much from suspend/sleep modes
anyway.  I havn't been following ACAPI on Linux but if AMDs PowerNow is
supported then there may be some good options there.

--
Ray