[mythtv] /dev/dsp busy?

Monty Walls mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:06:13 -0600

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:45:12 +0100
"Henk Poley" <hpoley@dds.nl> wrote:

> > Van: Nathan Ziarek <nathan@ziarek.com>
> >
> > If this is on-board sound, pretty sure it means that it doesn't handle
> > duplex audio - MythTV needs to be able to record and playback at the
> > same time, and on board sound (as I am learning), sucks.
>
> Not all on board sound sucks. btw, it _used_ to suck. Most modern (ehm, 1
> year old (?)) mobos do quite excellent work. Though it is most of the time
> only 2 channel audio. Some compare it to SB16, but for my likeing even my
> 'el cheapo' ECS K7S5A (SiS chipset, tells enough?) produces better sound
> than those crappy SB16's, and it's full-duplex (according to the manual).

It's not the sound quality that's the problem, it's the Line-in.  My
Leadtek 7350KDA (sis735 uses sis7012 for sound) has way too much static
for line-in, but otherwise excellent sound.  Having chased this problem
on several sound board & several motherboards, avoid based on line-in noise:

sis7012, (line noise with alsa drivers)
cmi8738, (line noise with alsa drivers)
cs4624 (no duplex with current rc6 alsa(but very clean) or duplex with old dsp code and flaky static)
SBlive (dma contention/latency issues, but clean sound on line-in and works)
sb16 (clean sound)

So as a desperate measure I'v got a Hoontech SoundTrack Digital XG on order.

Hopefully people can add observations and comments to expand this list so
the next guy doesn't have to fight this.

As an observation alsa always seemed much lower volume than the OSS drivers
for speaker output.

--
-Monty Walls (mwalls@castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
-	MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission