[mythtv] /dev/dsp busy?

Colin Panisset mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:13:43 -0800

On Friday 06 December 2002 13:03, misleb@onshore.com spake thus:
> On  5 Dec, Henk Poley wrote:
> >> Van: Nathan Ziarek <nathan@ziarek.com>
> >>
> >> If this is on-board sound, pretty sure it means that it doesn't handle
> >> duplex audio - MythTV needs to be able to record and playback at the
> >> same time, and on board sound (as I am learning), sucks.
> >
> > Not all on board sound sucks. btw, it _used_ to suck. Most modern (ehm,
> > 1 year old (?)) mobos do quite excellent work. Though it is most of the
> > time only 2 channel audio. Some compare it to SB16, but for my likeing
> > even my 'el cheapo' ECS K7S5A (SiS chipset, tells enough?) produces
> > better sound than those crappy SB16's, and it's full-duplex (according
> > to the manual).
>
> Grabber cards based on the BT878 have sound recording capabilities with
> Linux kernel support. Anyone know what card uses this chip?

I have a Pixelview PlayTV Pro that uses this chip, though I'm using the loop
cable back to Line In at the moment.

I've also just ordered a Matrox G200TV (for $41), as the PixelView board
doesn't have any hardware MJPEG capabilities, and a 1GHz P3 isn't fast
enough to capture and playback at the same time at decent resolution.

  -- C.