[mythtv] TiVo Series2

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:15:08 -0700

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 04:58:57PM +0000, Brent Borghese wrote:

> The only problem with tivo is it cost me $12.95 a month.   And if I want
> a second tivo its another $12.95 a month.   And all they are giving me is
> guide data.

For those who care about such things the service agreement is a bit harsh
too.  You're not allowed to ever use an alternative guide service if/when it
becomes avaiable.  They also make you agree that the onboard software is
part of the "TIVO Service" rather than part of the product or even just
normal software.  The net result is that just using the thing (even if you
never let it download guide data from Tivo) you would be "using the Tivo
service" and owe them the monthly fee.

> If the 2rd, 3rd,...  tivo's only cost me $2 each more a month, I would
> have one in each room and I might not be building a MythTV box.

Since I'm using Directv the price would be only $5/month for me and the cost
for additional recievers is pretty reasonable too.  If it wern't for their
screwed up service agreement I'd have gone that route.  Now I'm hooked on
Myth though:)  At this point I'd rather spend more on Myth boxes than
encourage the precedent that every product with a computer on board is
really just part of some "service" rather than an actual product.

--
Ray