[mythtv-users] XMLTV, SchedulesDirect, and SH programming

Larry Kennedy lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Fri May 21 14:32:28 UTC 2021

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 7:50 AM Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 05/20/2021 01:04 PM, Larry Kennedy wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Since I upgraded to the XMLTV Sqlite JSON grabber with
> > SchedulesDirect, I'm having trouble recording a show that used to work
> > just fine before the upgrade.
> >
> > Pardon the Interruption (PTI) airs weekdays on ESPN, so I had a rule
> > to record all showings of this program on that channel.  After the
> > switch to XMLTV, mythtv only records one showing, and all subsequent
> > showings are regarded as duplicates, so they are skipped.  I can see
> > in the listings that all showings have the same episodeID, so I opened
> > a case with SD to possibly address this episodeID issue, and I was
> > told that the listings are correct, and this is because PTI is SH
> > programming, versus EP programming.  I was told that there most likely
> > is a way to handle SH programs differently than EP programs in mythtv
> > scheduling.
> >
> > Does anyone know what I need to do to get this recording back on track?
> >

> The program ID's being the same is likely not directly related to what's
> going on--you most likely have something else configured in your
> recording rule that's preventing the recordings.  A program ID starting
> with SH is Schedules Direct's marker that it's a "generic"
> episode--meaning they don't have specific information about which
> episode it is (and/or it's a non-episodic show).  Therefore, MythTV
> should record every single episode, regardless of subtitle, description,
> program ID, etc.--unless told by the recording rule to do otherwise.  If
> you disable generic episodes (with "Exclude generic episodes" or
> "Exclude repeat and generic episodes" filter or possibly even  "New
> episodes only" or "Exclude repeat episodes"), it won't record them.
>
> You can look in Upcoming Recordings in mythfrontend to see why it says
> it's not recording them.

Mike,

I had a very straightforward recording rule to record that program at any
time on ESPN, with no other criteria.  The upcoming recordings view
indicated that future showings were either currently recorded, or
previously recorded, depending on the state of any currently recorded
showing.  If I deleted the one recording I was permitted (and allowed
re-record), then the next showing would record.  If I didn't allow
re-record, it would say all future showings were previously recorded and
were therefore regarded as duplicates.

By adding "ignore duplicates" to the recording rule, the problem went away,
but this was never needed prior to adopting the new grabber.

Larry