[mythtv-users] Asus PN50 as frontend

Steve Greene sgreene820 at gmail.com
Thu May 13 21:53:05 UTC 2021

My old NUC5 finally died, so while I was upgrading the rest of my system I
decided to replace it with an ASUS PN50. I installed Mint Mate 20.1. I'm
pleasantly surprised it installed without difficulty. Once I installed a
5.8 kernel, almost all the features were there. The one piece of the puzzle
remaining is the CIR chipset. The kernel recognizes an ITE8708 CIR chipset,
but ir-keytable doesn't find it. A little Googling revealed that a patch is
circulating for that issue.

I'm impressed with how well it is handling interlacing under VAAPI. Should
I be looking at any of the other video decoding schemes for this AMD Ryzen
4300U based system?

Steve

Steve Greene
(301) 842-8923
historicity.co
An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
moving images and recorded sound.