[mythtv-users] Stupid Fire Stick Match Frame Rate feature

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 21:22:08 UTC 2021

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 5:16 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 4:44 PM Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

>> > I have never seen this problem. I have fire stick 4k's on several TV's
>> > and they switch frame rate without a problem.
>>
>> And I'm guessing by that you mean, not only does the video look good,
>> but you see the explicit switching message. You must mean that: you'd
>> have noticed if it was otherwise.
>>
>> > I have the fire stick
>> > plugged directly into the TV. I suspect your AV receiver is confusing
>> > things somehow. Does "match original frame rate" in the fire stick
>> > settings get disabled?
>>
>> No, the setting stays set. It was entirely a mystery when I was using
>> just the Amazon Prime app, but Leanfront gives more information. It
>> still "considers" switching but reports the mode it wants not present.
>> (A much better written app than Amazon Prime :-) )
>>
>> > Does this happen if you plug the fire stick directly into the TV?
>>
>> I haven't tried that, but perhaps I should. I've been assuming all is
>> fine with my set up because my mythfrontent always switches faultlessly,
>> but I've just realise it's cheating in that I have it loading EDID from
>> a binary file. That's also reminded me that it used to work before I
>> loaded EDID, but only if I turned on the AV receiver before the
>> frontend. It may be that the FireTV picks up EDID only on boot and when
>> the display settings are changed... although that wouldn't explain why
>> you've never seen the problem... so I guess not.
>>
>> > Frame rate switching in leanfront also works on nvidia shield. If you
>> > have a shield you could try it there to narrow down whether it is a
>> > problem specific to the fire stick.
>>
>> No shield to try this on, sadly.
>>
>> > I plug the fire stick directly into the TV, then take optical output
>> > from the TV to the audio system. This successfully carries dolby
>> digital
>> > to the audio system without having the audio system in between the TV
>> > and the fire stick. Another option may be to use a splitter to pass the
>> > hdmi to the tv and the audio system.
>>
>> That's sounds like good advice. That set up never occurred to me. I'd
>> hope my TV has optical out.
>>

> My FireTV 4k Stick is plugged directly into a really old Sony XBR6 TV.  I
> don't think the TV is doing any compassating or correction.
> I just spent some time testing on FireTV 4K with some British Crime dramas
> on Prime Video and they play very well just like USA TV.
>
> However, the Shield TV seems to be a lost cause.  At one time I could get
> the framerate matching beta fix to work, but your really need a newer
> Shield TV with the fancy new remote with the setting button.
>
> Jim A

I use a HDMI 2.0 splitter and also a HDMI 2.0 switch in my setup.  My UHD
TV only has 2 HDMI inputs and I have 4 UHD devices.  So The output of the
switch goes to the HDMI 2.0 splitter with one output going to my AV
receiver and the other going to the TV.

My TV will not pass 5.1, but sound from the TV apps can pass multi-channel
sound to the AV receiver via optical.  Short of buying a lot of new
equipment, this will have to do.

Jim A