[mythtv-users] UK Crystal Palace OTA reception issue on CH55

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Mar 12 17:11:38 UTC 2021

On 12/03/2021 16:06, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> In my case, one of the muxes is now interleaved with others from transmitters I don't want. This makes selecting the correct ones somewhat interesting.
>
> Yeah, that is interesting.
> Over the years I've done a fair bit of retuning stuff for friends. It used to be simple for us - either unplug the aerial until you reach into the 50s, or unplug it after it gets to the 50s, during the tune. Our main transmitters all used frequencies up into the high 50s and 60s, while the local ones were all below 50(ish).
> Then I got asked to help by someone with a nice (I suspect expensive) TV (Scandinavian sounding brand, can't remember what now, could have been Loewe) and that picked up both Winter Hill and Moel-Y-Parc (North Wales) even though M-Y-P was well off axis for the aerial. That was right PITA to deal with as it meant looking at the frequency for each of the channels (it just had BBC1, BBC1, BBC2, BBC2, and so on) and deleting the unwanted ones. In hindsight, might have been easier to pop an attenuator in while tuning - but I didn't have any back then.
>
> At least new stuff seems to prompt for which region/area you want to use when it detects two sets of muxes.

Yep! Our most recent TV does that which is a godsend as we can pick up from three different
transmitters: Hannington (BBC South Solent, which we want), Crystal Palace (off-beam but strong
enough. London region obvs) and Oxford (Almost behind but close enough to register. Thames Valley
local news).

The Youview Set Top Box which we currently use when we're not on myth, unfortunately does not :(. It
has picked up a range of channels, some good, some terrible and I have no idea where from. The STB
is a 'black box' and gives no clues at all. (The TV tuner on its own is useless.)

--

Mike Perkins