[mythtv-users] Current generation low-power graphics card to use for 4K TV (both MythTV frontent and content)

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Mon Mar 8 18:34:12 UTC 2021

On 2/1/21 2:27 AM, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 at 08:11, Stephen Worthington
> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> For (relatively) low power, try looking for fanless cards, such as the
>> Nvidia GT1030s.  I am not sure how good their 4k support is as I do
>> not have a 4k TV yet, but they do have at least basic 4k support.
>
> As Stephen has said, I think the GT1030 is about the minimum for good
> NVDEC decoding coverage (if you are looking to the future and moving
> away from VDPAU), it is more than powerful enough and isn't a power
> hungry monster. (I use one myself for testing). Older cards will
> probably give you adequate decoding of just H264/MPEG2 (either with
> VDPAU or NVDEC) if you are just looking for handling broadcast
> material.

I recently purchased a 4k TV and am using a NVidia 1030 fanless GPU.
Xorg automatically went into 4k mode when I connected the new TV via
HDMI. My version of mythtv is not the latest (v30.0-58-g4761e7a6d4). I
am still using VDPAU decoding. CPU is i3-2100T.

That said, I have audio sync. issues for a few seconds, periodically.
Sometimes the GUI is laggy (MythCenter wide).

My purchase last year was the HDHR-4k model so I am hoping to be able to
play 4k content. I am pondering moving to a NUC10 and an external hard
drive enclosure for recordings.

Bob