[mythtv-users] trouble with CSPAN channels

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sat Mar 6 18:09:31 UTC 2021

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 10:41 AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 3:38 PM Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>
> Existing HD channels with low(er)
> viewership are also being selected to be moved
> to IPTV only.  This has been ongoing for well
> over a year now, and is shown on your bill(**).
> In order to access those new channels, or to
> continue to access the channels migrated, one
> needs to use one of their boxes (or use their
> streaming app).

In that case, it would appear that my days of using MythTV are numbered.  I
do not know of any way to access the channels we watch that can be used by
MythTV once the cable card stops working. The newer boxes don't have
firewire any more so there's no way I know of the change the channel from
MythTV on an X1 box, even if I invested in HD-PVR devices to capture the
recordings. Heck, the X1 boxes don't even have component outputs either so
there's not even any way to do that. From what I understand, the situation
isn't any better with satellite services. Streaming services exist but
their DVR's suck; you can't watch an in-progress recording until it's
finished, which is unacceptable for my normal use case. All very
discouraging.

--Greg